Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Week 2 Story Planning: The Husband Trial

Story Notes
After being away from Rama for so long, Sita’s purity was questioned by Rama. He refused to take her back so to prove herself she tested herself with fire and called upon the fire god. Rama witnessed her fidelity and took her back saying it was simply a test and he was happy to have her as his bride.
Sita's test by fire
Source

I would like to write a story about this situation but brought to modern day and with reversed roles in which a wife travels for an extended period of time and must prove that he was loyal.

General Story Plot
  • Couple has been married for many years.
  • The husband takes an extended business trip lasting 1 month.
  • When he returns his wife demands a divorce because she is sure he has cheated on her during his time away.
  • He begs her to find a way in which he can prove his loyalty to her.
  • She gives him a test and he fails.

Key Characters
Wife, Sita: She is a strong woman that stays at home and cares for her children. She has a no nonsense attitude and will not stay with a man who does not remain loyal to her. She is suspicious of him on his return but is not an overly suspicious wife. She is determined to know whether her husband had cheated on her and will not stay with him if he has.

Husband, Rama: He had a womanizing reputation prior to his marriage of Sita. Sita’s friends and family have always been skeptical of whether he truly has changed his ways. He goes for a business trip in which things get out of hand. He loves his wife but temptation has led him to stray. Her suspicions makes him nervous as he knows he has done wrong but he hopes his efforts will allow him to convince her of his love for her.

Bibliography: PDE Ramayana, Authors: M. Dutt, R. Dutt, Gould, Griffith, Hodgson, Mackenzie, Nivedita, Oman, Richardson, and Ryder.

4 comments:

  1. Hey! These notes look pretty good. They are fairly detailed and you should be able to write a goof story off of them. I did a story about Sita and Rama as well so I know a little about it! I like how you organized your notes. When I do mine they are a mess. My mind works in weird ways sometimes haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lindsey! This all looks great! I really like where this story is headed. I love the idea of reversing the roles. It is too often now a days for woman to be cheated on and stay with their husbands, whereas when the woman is at fault-it is often a no-brianer for the husband to file for a divorce. This story of a non-pushy, but intuitive wife who is aware of what is happening around her is an awesome message! I look forward to reading your story!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lindsey! I really like the idea for your story! I am all about role reversals and I love that it is the guy that must prove his loyalty! One thing that I think could be interesting for your story Is if you gave a description of what the wife was doing while the husband was away on the trip! It could be interesting to see that added character background in the story! In your description, the woman sounds like a no-nonsense kind of girl! I like that you made her a strong female character, who doesn’t stand by when she thinks her husband is cheating on her! You could also add dialogue into your story to make it more dynamic! Overall, I think that this will be a really fun story! I look forward to reading it when you are done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindsey, I really like your idea for this story and think it will be very good if you decide to write it. I will definitely read it :)

    Both your characters sound really strong and I like how you reversed the roles / the portrayal of each character. The fact that you made Rama the one to be tested, makes me smile, because it is too often that men get away with cheating, etc. well done!

    ReplyDelete