Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Week 4 Story: The Husband Trial

It was Sunday afternoon and Sita knew Rama’s flight would be landing soon. She ran through the house throwing toys into their proper bins and vacuuming the carpet. She had gone to great lengths to ensure that Rama would return to a clean home after his month-long business trip in Germany. Sita could not wait to be back in her husband’s arms and Rama was just as excited.

After the final minutes passed that felt like hours to Sita, it was finally time to meet Rama at the airport. She loaded up into the car and sped to get him. When their eyes met it was like the first time they had laid eyes on each other. Rama’s face lit up with a smile and Sita’s heart fluttered. They ran to each other and in a deep embrace they hoped the moment would never pass.

Once they got home, Sita began to help Rama unpack his suitcase so she could start the laundry. As she was grabbing the dirty clothes from his suitcase and piling them up in the basket, a tube of lipstick rolled onto the ground.

Not wanting to jump to conclusions immediately she took the lipstick to Rama and calmly asked, “Rama, how did this lipstick get into your suitcase?”  She was hoping for a valid excuse but knew that was unlikely. Rama began to stutter. “Uh, Uh… I don’t know where that could have come from,” he said uneasily, guilt pouring from him eyes.

Sita was a reasonable woman and decided that rather than accuse her husband of lying, she would simply demand that he prove his loyalty to her.

“Rama,” she stated, “since you have been gone for a month's time, I ask that you prove that you remained loyal to me in your time away.” Rama looked down nervously but felt confident his strength and abilities could overcome any challenge Sita could throw at him, so he agreed.

“You must pray upon the God of Water as your purity will only be proven if you are able to swim up the river to the nearest bait shop from the entrance by our home,” Sita declared. “If you are able to swim this distance upstream, I will know you have been loyal.” Rama nodded his head in agreement, certain his strength would be able to overcome the strength of the rushing river.

Word of the trial spread and a crowd lined the river from the entrance to the shop. All were eager to witness Rama attempt the trial but most doubted his loyalty to Sita. Rama waded out toward the center of the river where he would begin.

He prayed to the God of Water and dove in. He was a strong swimmer with impeccable form. He moved his arms with as much force and as quickly as he could with his feet kicking behind him.

After what felt like a lifetime, Rama lifted his head for a brief moment to monitor his progress as he felt himself becoming fatigued. He caught a quick glimpse of Sita watching from the side and looked back upstream only to catch sight of a wave forming right in front of his eyes.

“A wave? How could this be?” Rama thought shocked. His eyes widened and the wave crashed into him throwing his body downstream far past where he had originally started.


The crowd booed and Sita crumpled to the ground in tears. She had been doubtful of Rama’s purity but a part of her on the inside hoped he was telling the truth. However, the Gods had spoken and made it painfully clear to her what she needed to do and she did not see or speak to Rama ever again.
Wave crashing down on Rama
Source

Author's Note: 
For this story I took the concept from the PDE Ramayana in which Rama tested Sita with fire after Ravana had held her captive.  I took the general concept of a couple being forced apart for an extended period of time and placed it in a slightly more modern setting. I also reversed the roles between Sita and Rama and had Rama be the one whose loyalty had to be tested.


For the test, I really wanted to use a similar concept in which there was a god responsible for the element used. In the Ramayana, Sita called upon the fire god, Agni for protection and he protected her. I chose to use water because I have read about Varuna the Hindu god of water and the goddess Ganga. I liked the idea of a specific god being in charge of determining Rama’s fate and the outcome of the test. In the story a wave comes crashing down on Rama and I wanted that to be a direct sign and action of a god.

In my portfolio, I have included stories of romance. While this story isn’t a happy ending, it still involves the conflict and relationship between two people. I think this addition to my portfolio will give a unique storyline compared to typical happy ending stories. 

Bibliography: PDE Ramayana, Authors: M. Dutt, R. Dutt, Gould, Griffith, Hodgson, Mackenzie, Nivedita, Oman, Richardson, and Ryder.

11 comments:

  1. Honestly, I thought it was weird that Sita had to prove her loyalty and purity to Rama because if they were put in opposite positions back then, I feel like Rama’s integrity wouldn’t have even been doubted. I liked that you decided to switch up the roles in your story though—kind of like giving Rama a taste of his own medicine, even though they’re technically in different storylines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion the story was very good contextually. After reading through it I realized how you were trying to switch the roles of the two characters. Especially when you Sita was putting Rama through "a test." I think the spin you put on the story to make it modern was good. Although the wave part confused me. Everything else seemed realistic but maybe the test part should not have been drastic like that. It is as if you started out more modern than flipped without much of a warning. I think a good example of this would be instead of a wave he has to prove it by showing texts he sent. That is a more modern approach generally when a woman believes a man is cheating. She will probably want to look at his phone to see if there is evidence there. Other than that your story was good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lindsey! I truly enjoyed reading your story. My favorite part had to be how you made Rama’s character be the one that had to test his purity. I feel like there is a bit of sexism in the original story because Sita is the one being tested, and it seems like the women are always the one being doubted. Your story twists this, and shows that both genders can make mistakes. The mysterious concept of the lipstick in Rama’s suitcase was definitely something that caught my attention, but I wanted to know where the lipstick came from, and exactly who the owner was. Was she someone Rama was in love with, having an affair with, or someone he was having a “one night stand” with? I was thinking about the crowd gathered to witness Rama being tested, but I was thinking about what the scene would be like if you left out the crowd, and just had Rama and Sita there. This might be something to consider if you wanted to make it more intimate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off, I loved your topic! When I was reading the Ramayana the first time, I thought it was unfair for Sita to constantly be questioned. So, your idea of having Rama go through the trial was a refreshing change! You did a great job of showing Rama's unfaithfulness, while still maintaining the role of the goddess. One thing that would be interesting to see, is if you put some of Rama's POV in the story. It would be cool to get a dual perspective and see what each person thinks of the situation. Overall, this was a really great story! You did a great job of reversing the roles and having Sita become more independent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story. First of all I like your title. I think it does a really good job of hinting at what will happen in the story. I also liked that you switched up the plot of the story. Instead of Sita being tested it was Rama. It is sad to see he was unfaithful to her, but I am glad that she found out the truth. I also like the way you used the god of water in the story. The fact that it was just a river by their house and a huge wave appeared is a great way of showing that the gods have spoken. To improve your story just slightly maybe adding more drama between Rama and Sita when she finds the lipstick. Maybe have Rama promise that it was one of his co-workers lipstick and it accidentally ended up in his suitcase. But Sita not believe it, and when it comes time to prove it, he does! Just to add that plot twist. Overall, really great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lindsey,

    I truly enjoyed reading your story and liked the modern concept that you included. I wonder how the story would have ended if he did indeed make it through to the other side? What inspired you to use the waves as a sign to Sita? Water as a natural element will almost always be stronger than its opponent and I like how you showed it in your story line. Well done on the writing!
    Please view a view notes below:


    After the final minutes past that felt like hours to Sita, it was finally time to meet Rama at the airport. She loaded up into the car and sped to get him.
    + Do you mean she loaded up the car?

    Once they got home, Sita began to help Rama unpack his suitcase so she could start the laundry. As she was grabbing the dirty clothes from him suitcase and pilling them up in the basket,
    + Piling instead of pilling.


    Sita was a reasonable woman and decided that rather that accuse her husband of lying,
    + …She decided rather than accusing her husband…

    “Rama” she stated “since you have been gone for a months time
    + This should be months’ time


    Rama looked down nervously but felt confident his strength and abilities could over come any challenge Sita could throw at him so he agreed.
    + …but felt confident that his strengths
    + overcome should be one word.

    However, the God’s had spoken…
    + No apostrophe needed for gods

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lindsey, your blurbs were really good. They were not too long or too short. They gave me just enough information on what I was about to read without giving away the big ideas. I also like your title and I think that it did a good job portraying what the story was going to be about. The title can make a big difference in a story.
    I like the way you twisted your story to make Rama be questioned instead of Sita. In most of these stories, it is crazy the way women are portrayed and in your story you twisted that and made the roles reversed.
    I think you story flowed nicely and wasn’t too choppy. Your ideas were organized nicely and they read smoothly from point to point. This is a hard thing to do so good job! I can’t wait to read future stories you write! Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lindsey, I thought your story was great overall. At first I was a little skeptical because it through me for a loop in the beginning when they seemed so in love, and then out of nowhere, she finds lipstick in his suitcase (it wasn't set up poorly, I just never imagined you taking it that direction). Maybe if you made a few slight suggestions to Rama's behavior, which would indicate something was different (i.e. he didn't hug her back very hard or wouldn't look her in the eyes for long) then it would foreshadow what was to come.

    I liked how you used a test as the way for Sita to determine Rama's loyalty. The concept of the gods preventing Rama from swimming up the river was cool. I also really liked your author's note. I thought you did a great job of explaining why you chose to write things in certain ways.

    Overall, I am glad you decided to steer away from the typical fairy tale, happy ending and make it more of a modern, realistic spin on the original. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lindsey, I love the role reversal you did here! It was very interesting thinking of Rama and Sita in modern day time. Did the kids go with Sita to the airport to pick up Rama? If not, where were they? Really great description of them seeing each other at the airport I could visualize the entire interaction! Wow, I was not expecting Sita to find a tube of lipstick in Rama’s suitcase! The wave was a really good addition to the story to show that it was obvious the gods were showing Sita the truth about her husband. I was left wondering if Rama drowned or survived the crash of the wave though. It was an unexpected ending, but I think a great addition to your portfolio. It’s important to remember not all love stories have happy endings. Overall, I really enjoyed reading your story. I thought was wonderfully written!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Lindsey. I enjoyed your this story and it flowed very smoothly. You were clear as to what you were portraying. At the end of paragraph four there is a tiny typo but besides that everything was alright. At the end of paragraph four look for the work him, it would be his instead. My favorite part of the story was when Sita switched the roles of the actual story and made Rama prove his loyalty to her. In the Ramayana it is clear that Sita was loyal to Rama no matter what he threw at her. But in this story the reader could tell that Rama was most likely guilty from the start. I felt like this story could have been stronger if it was longer and went into more detail in certain places. Either way you wrote a good story! It was an easy read and I had no issues following what you were talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lindsey,
    I thought it was really cool how you switched the roles in your story. Seeing Rama have to prove his loyalty to Sita was an interesting twist and kept me interested in reading the whole time. You did a wonderful job of creating the situation, it was overall just a really awesome story. I think your image was a perfect fit for the story's events, and partnered with your specific details in your writing, they were able to paint a real picture in your readers' heads of what was happening!Great job with this story, can't wait to see what you come up with next!

    ReplyDelete