Monday, January 23, 2017

Reading Notes: Public Domain Ramayana, Part A

I have really enjoyed reading the Ramayana so far and am looking forward to continuing on through Rama's journey. I love the development of Rama, a gift from the Gods promised to Dasharatha, as a heroic character with the full extent of his power slowly being revealed. I am eager to see how his return is received and what will happen now that Dasharatha has passed. A potential story I could write this week is a prediction of Rama's return and the conflict between Kaikeyi, Kaushalya, Bharata and Rama.

I think my favorite part of this story is the introduction of Sita. Their relationship differs so much from anything I have heard of or experienced. Upon simply the sound of Sita's bangles, Rama was certain that he would love her more than anything else in the world. Sita also realized without any interaction that Rama was who her heart desired. Winning the approval of Sita's father was a more familiar story. I think an interesting take I could write about would be if Rama had failed to bend the bow. With Rama and Sita certain they should be together, Rama's might refuse to accept the reality that he failed and would go to other measures to be with Sita.

Another potential storytelling aspect would be to go into detail about the adventures of Rama, Sita and Lakshmana during their exile in the forest. While Rama and Lakshmana are men with strong survival skill I think Sita's survival would be more difficult as she was raised a princess dressed in silks. Would she continue to allow the men to take care of her or would she learn to hunt and fish herself? What would happen if she became separated from the men? These are few things I would be able to elaborate on during my story.
Life in the Forest
Source: IndianEpics
Bibliography: PDE Ramayana, Authors: M. Dutt, R. Dutt, Gould, Griffith, Hodgson, Mackenzie, Nivedita, Oman, Richardson, and Ryder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment