Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Week 2 Story: To Learn to Fish

Once upon a time there was a beautiful princess named Sita. She spent her days wandering around her father’s kingdom with a book in hand or picking flowers and admiring the land the gods had blessed her with. She had never left the kingdom but had an adventurous soul and often dreamt of the wonders of the outside world. That was until she locked eyes with Rama, the man she knew she was destined to be with.  They didn’t speak a word but she instantly fell in love with him and knew he would be the one to take her from this kingdom and share with her the rest of the world.

Sita knew the man must win her father's approval and to do so, he must bend the god Shiva's bow. Many men had tried to bend the bow and failed but she could feel in her heart that this would not be the case for Rama. The gods answered her prayers and Rama successfully bent the bow. 

She shrieked with joy when she heard the news as the day she never thought would come was finally here. The wedding occurred with no delay and Sita wed Rama on a day filled with sunshine and surrounded by the blooming flowers. Sita was overflowing with joy and ready to depart with her new husband to discover the world.

The wedding bliss came to a screeching halt when Kaikeyi, Bharata's mother, demanded Rama to be sent to the forest in exile for fourteen years. Kaikeyi knew Rama was to be the crown prince so she demanded his exile so that her own son would become the heir.

Sita was devastated and confused. She wanted to blame the gods but knew nothing good could come from that. Instead she choked back her tears and made a decision. She knew she could not go on without her beloved and refused to let Kaikeyi steal her happiness. She would go with Rama into exile in the forest.

After only a few days in the forest with Rama and Lakshmana, she began to grow bored. Because she was a lady, the men insisted on providing all food and shelter and essentially protecting her in every way. Without her books or the ability to go on walks alone she felt more and more useless and desired something more. 

"Rama," she said "I simply can't waste away out here. I need a purpose to this life in exile." 

"Your purpose is to be my wife," Rama said. "Are you unsatisfied with your accommodations?"

"No, Rama, I am very happy but I would like to be able to provide something, anything of value to our group."

"You are my queen," Rama said tenderly. "I am here to protect and provide for you. Your assistance is not needed."

"Rama, please," she begged. "Teach me to fish so I can provide a meal for us."

Sita knew she could never master the survival skills Rama and Lakshmana had but she simply wanted to learn whatever she could. She wanted to know she could be of use if circumstances required it and Rama agreed to teach her how to fish.

Early the next morning, Rama and Sita set off to the closest river for the promised fishing lesson. They found a nice clearing and sat down on a rock overlooking the river. The sun was just rising and the water was quietly flowing below their feet. Sita, too impatient to enjoy the scenery, looked to Rama and asked how to begin. 

On the walk to the river, Rama had kept an eye out for sticks of the proper size and length that could be sharpened into spears. He found the two they would use and began scraping the bark off with her knife. He quickly sharpened the spears and handed one over to Sita. She was giddy with excitement but kept her face serious as she was determined to succeed. 

The couple took their weapons and walked a little ways down the river until they found a good spot to wade out. Rama took Sita’s hand and cautiously guided her into the river where fish were swimming all around their toes. Rama quickly demonstrated to Sita the proper motion and technique and plunged his spear through the water and into a fish. 

Sita steadied herself and looked hard into the water closely following the fish’s every move. Mimicking Rama’s technique, she flung the spear into the water and deep into the dirt bottom causing the spear to stick straight up. She let out a sigh of disappointment though she did not let it ruin her determination. 

She retrieved her spear and tried again, and again and again with no fish. After what felt like hours of trying she was nearly ready to quit. Rama continued to offer her advice and would stay by her side until she was satisfied. She decided to give it one more try with her full concentration and all her strength. With all her force she launched the spear into the water. 

When she pulled the spear up she had expected nothing but her eyes widened and she let out a gasp. “Rama!” she cried. “I did it! I did it!” she exclaimed as she danced and splashed around the river waving her fish and spear around like a trophy. Rama wrapped her in a deep embrace and congratulated her on the victory. 

Rama and Sita hiked back to their campsite unable to wipe the smiles off their faces, built a fire and enjoyed the delicious fish Rama and Sita had caught as a team. Surviving fourteen more years in the forest wouldn’t be as bad as she had originally thought.
Spear fishing
Source: Clipart

Author's Note: This story is based off the characters Sita and Rama from the Public Domain Edition of the Ramayana. At the beginning of my story, I rewrote the events that occurred in the Ramayana from the meeting of Rama and Sita until they were exiled to the forest from Sita’s point of view. Once they were exiled, I created the following story in which Sita in interesting in learning to fish. Rama takes Sita to the river and she is able to catch the dinner they eat that night.  


The image I chose is of two boys spearfishing in a river. While the image is of two boys, I chose this drawing to represent Sita and Rama spear fishing in the river. I like this image because one of the boys is clearly older and I wanted that to represent Rama in terms of experience and Sita being the smaller of the two learning.

With this story, I hoped to give Sita an image larger than just simply a wife who does what she is told. I wanted to empower her and add a new aspect to her character development. We never really see throughout the Public Domain Ramayana many sides to Sita and with this story it shows her determination and adventurous side. 

Bibliography: PDE Ramayana, Authors: M. Dutt, R. Dutt, Gould, Griffith, Hodgson, Mackenzie, Nivedita, Oman, Richardson, and Ryder.




9 comments:

  1. Oh wow I loved this story! I wasn't sure where it was going in the beginning but once the forest exile hit I understood immediately why you needed the previous information. I enjoyed reading about Sita's success in learning to fish and enjoyed the romantic aspects you added in, like Rama hugging her after she caught the fish. I look forward to reading more of your stories this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey, this is great! I did the same story but obviously, a little different. I like your writing style. It flowed really well from concept to concept. That is an idea that I struggle with when I write and you do it very well. I think you did well with the creative side of this story as well. I really enjoyed your story. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Lindsey! I absolutely loved this idea of making Sita more than just a trophy wife. It’s also an interesting concept to have Sita WANT to learn and provide during their time in exile rather than just going along with having everything handed to her. I was wondering, why did you start the story from the beginning when Rama won over Sita’s hand in marriage? Why not start at the the time of exile (or at least a little bit before the exile)? The only thing I would suggest is that there could be some inner conflict because Sita grew up in a luxurious lifestyle and her life took a turn in her exile to a forest. Then she can try to prove herself and want to learn how to fish! This way, there would be more of a development of character for Sita, and it would be encouraging for the readers to see her trying to adapt and prove her worth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindsay,

    I think that your story was very good. It was very interesting to see the way that Sita had felt during the beginning of her exile. This made it enjoyable for me to be able see, and it made me more interested to continue to read. I thought that Sita feeling that she was wasting away and not having purpose was interesting because nothing like this is mentioned in the story itself. But having the idea of it in your story is great. Hearing the side of Rama in it made me sad, because it made it into a misogynistic role that he was playing, with not allowing her to do anything other than be the wife during their exile. Was their any particular way you could have pulled off Sita asking to do something without Rama getting upset? Rama was so cool tempered toward Sita until the end, and I didn’t know if you could have made him cooler tempered at the beginning of their exile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lindsay,

    I really liked how you took the original story and made it into your own. I also liked the different types of imagery that you put in your story so the readers can sense what you're writing. Although I will say I think you should provide more of a flow from one stream of thought to the next. The story seemed rushed and it felt like you were jumping too quickly from one part of your story to the next. I think if you would have started your story from right before the exile instead it could have allowed your story more substance. Overall I do like how you gave her more of a voice than in the original story. I think your story gives more of our countries ideals, which is a good approach. In other countries women do not have as many opportunities as men, and I think your story gives her more complexity than before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lindsey I thoroughly enjoyed reading your story about Rama and Sita. I actually read this story a while ago so I liked how you included a back story on why these two were exiled from their kingdom. I thought it was really creative that you ended up writing the story from the perspective of Sita. I felt the original Ramayana really focused on Rama when Sita was so involved. It really allowed the reader to understand the emotions that Sita felt during this exile. Also, I really liked how you made the task she did so simple, yet so important for their survival. I had a laid back feel when I imagined them fishing and catching that fish. Additionally, I thought you did an excellent job in choosing the image. It really played off of the laid back nature of your story. Overall, great story I definitely will come back and read more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lindsey,
    I really enjoyed this story of yours about Rama and Sita. It kept me interested and wanting to read more the entire time. I liked how symbolic that catching the fish/learning to fish was in this story. In the big picture, catching a fish is such an insignificant thing, but you were able to broadcast the great importance that the task held for Sita. It was great being able to see her accomplish what she wanted to do so badly. I think we were all always rooting for Sita even in the original story. What if you discusses Rama's bending of the bow in a little more depth? That's the only thing I noticed, was that I would have liked to just seen a little more detail about that! This was an amazing story, and I can't wait to come back and see what else you write! Great job with the image as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lindsey! I really enjoyed this addition to your portfolio. The imagination and creativity to mix such a well known story with these stories was great. Most people in this class are very familiar with Rama and Sita so the connection is already there. I really enjoyed all of the descriptive details found throughout. For example when you wrote, "Rama and Sita hiked back to their campsite unable to wipe the smiles off their faces, built a fire and enjoyed the delicious fish Rama and Sita had caught as a team. Surviving fourteen more years in the forest wouldn’t be as bad as she had originally thought." This paints a happy picture in the reader's head and wraps up the story on a good note. Great job, Lindsey!

    ReplyDelete