Sunday, January 29, 2017

Wikipedia Trail: From The Jungle Book to Big Brother

I began my Wikipedia trail with The Jungle Book, a book I stumbled across while looking for books for my project. The Jungle Book is a collection of stories that were written in 1894 by Rudyard Kipling. I then went to Rudyard Kipling's page and learned that he was an English journalist, short-story writer, poet and novelist. He won the Nobel Prize in Literature and George Orwell called him a "prophet of British imperialism." I then went to George Orwell's page and learned his name was actually Eric Arthur Blair and George Orwell was just his pen name. He was best known for being the author of dystopian novel Nineteen Eighty-Four in which he was the first to use the phrase Big Brother. I then went to the Big Brother page that described the term big brother as the leader of a totalitarian state wherein the ruling Party wields total power "for its own sake" over the inhabitants and comes with a very negative connotation. 

The Jungle Book
Source: Wikipedia

Link Trail:
The Jungle Book
Rudyard Kipling
George Orwell 
Big Brother

No comments:

Post a Comment