Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Reading Notes: Public Domain Ramayana, Part B

I found Bharata’s reaction to becoming the raj and Rama’s exile to be very noble. I can’t help but compare to present day, and I think if this situation had happened to just about any set of siblings, the desire for power and leadership would have caused the younger brother to be far less civil. Bharata immediately went to Rama to undo what his mother had done which I think shows good and honorable character. I think an interesting story angle would be to use this rare relationship between these brothers and place them in a modern day situation.

Throughout this reading there was strong development of Sita’s character. While she was quick to fall for the tricks of Ravana with her desire of the golden deer, she also showed great strength in her prayers to the forest and trees to tell Rama what has happened. I also thought it was very brave of her to drop her jewelry as tokens to help Rama find his way toward her.  I also liked that despite her fear of being in Lanka and captured by Ravana, she rejected his attempts to win her love and remained loyal to Rama.
The Golden Deer
Source: Nina Paley
Bibliography: PDE Ramayana, Authors: M. Dutt, R. Dutt, Gould, Griffith, Hodgson, Mackenzie, Nivedita, Oman, Richardson, and Ryder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment